Bookmark and Share

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mom's Pickled Fish

Photo by pickled herring by berzowska
Well, here I am ready to post my first recipe. Oh no -- A foodie going 'Pro'. I'm learning more and more each day about what I can do and what I can't do on the internet and phyically too. This recipe is easy and it's from my Mom, so I feel safe and I'm going to give this a try.Remembering 'I'm safe...I'm safe' saying it over and over in my head helps. So here gos. Taking a deep breath.....And so how I'd get this recipe?

Well my Mom likes Pickled Herring and trying different things....my Dad...well, he's alittle more...you know 'Raw Fish' ---eeewww ickie. My Dad's family's from Norway. I'd think he'd go for this...but no.So, my Mom likes to make it at home because.. Dad don't buy it at the store without making a fuss.
My hubby and I enjoy fish. We live near the Nisqually Indian Reservation, when they have more Fish than they can eat/sell etc. they share with everyone.
About a year ago we we're notified of a Fish-Give Away.
Our Fish Smokers we're full. our tummy's were full and still more Fish....
What To Do???
Mom sent me this recipe to share with everyone. 'Thanks Mom'.

Please read over this recipe first before you begin. Thanks.

Mom's Pickled Fish.

First 'chunk and skin raw fish'. Any kind of fish, salmon, herring etc. Amount? Big Bowl full.
Soak in
1 Cup of salt and 1 quart water.
Soak for 12 hours in this mixture and pour off this brine.
Next Soak Fish for 24 hours in White Vinegar.
Drain.
Next layer Fish in Sterile Jars with sliced Onions.

Bring below ingredients to a boil, simmer about 30 minutes.

1 Cup White Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Sugar
3 teaspoons Pickling Spice
10 to 15 Whole Allspice

Cool Mixture.
Add:
1/2 Cup White Port Wine

Pour liquid over Fish and Onions.
Screw lids down.

Keep refridgerated for 2 weeks before eating.

Wow. I'm done. Enjoy. Copy, Share.. have fun.
J.A. ROSE-BARTLETT
Again. 'Thanks Mom'.

2 comments:

  1. A great recipe love those fishes salmon, herring ....mmmm easy, delicious a comforting meal :)
    Thanks for sharing Janet!

    Cheers,
    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome Gera. Enjoy this recipe with your family and friends. Janet-smile

    ReplyDelete

music

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

BUILT FOR COMFORT...NOT FOR SPEED

COFFEE SPOKEN HERE

My Blog List